Deceased man allegedly told mother he was being beaten in police custody

KLANG: The family of a 29-year-old man alleged that he died in police custody four days after he was arrested to assist into the investigation of several break-in cases.

The family members of G. Ganeshwaran, who had been remanded, claimed that he was beaten up when they saw him at the court house on Friday (Dec 15).

The despatch rider was arrested last Thursday by police officers from the South Klang district police headquarters (IPD) and was still under remand.

Ganeshwaran's sister, who did not want to be named, said that when her mother went to the court Friday for his brother's remand, he told her that he was beaten up in the lockup.

''My brother was in a wheelchair looking weak and only spoke briefly to my mom that he was kicked in his throat, had difficulty to breathe and was not able to eat for two days.

''And he fainted soon after in front of my mother before he was taken away in an ambulance,'' she said when met at the Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah's mortuary here Monday night.

She also added that her mother only learned of her brother's death after she went to the hospital by herself.

''None of the policemen took the responsibility to inform us about my brother's death. My mom actually found out from the doctor who treated him.

''This is totally unacceptable,'' she said, adding that she lodged a report on her brother's death and the family will lodge another report at the Shah Alam IPD.

The family's lawyer Sivamalar Ganapathy claimed the police should have taken quick action to bring the suspect to the hospital when he showed signs of illness.

Meanwhile, South Klang OCPD Asst Comm Shamsul Amar Ramli said that a post-mortem concluded that Ganeshwaran died of pulmonary thromboembolism - a blockage in a lung artery due to a blood clot in the leg.

He said the suspect, who was to be charged in court, was brought to South Klang IPD from the Shah Alam central lockup for his statements to be taken and other procedures at 10.15am on Monday (Dec 18).

''Upon reaching the South Klang crime investigation department at 11.15am, he complained of breathing difficulties and that he could not eat. He then threw up.

''The ambulance came at 12.15pm and paramedics who checked on him found him in a normal state,'' he said, adding that the man was taken to the hospital.

However, at 12.40pm the paramedics confirmed that he died while on the way to the hospital.

ACP Shamsul Amar also said that the case was being classified as sudden death related.

Klang MP Charles Santiago, who was present, said that the family wanted answers on Ganeshwaran's death while he was under the police custody.

''The family also questioned the cause of death, that how would a blood clot occurred in his leg that travelled to his lung artery.

''But how did he get the blood clot in the first place? We want to know if he was ill-treated in the lockup and that is what caused it,'' he said, adding that a full blood analysis will be out in two weeks' time.

Santiago also alleged that this was a case of negligence and police should show accountability, he said, adding that he would lodge a report with the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) and Enforcement Agency Integrity Commission (EAIC).

source :  Star Online

Enforcement Agency Integrity Commission
Level 5, Menara Block
Menara Usahawan
No. 18 Persiaran Perdana, Precint 2
62652 Putrajaya, Malaysia

am GENERAL LINE+603-8880 5650

fax FAX+603-8880 5646

emel EMAIL This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.